Armed Forces

16th April 2021, 21:49 | super_league

Hull KR seal one-point victory over Huddersfield

Hull KR seal one-point victory over Huddersfield

Friday's Betfred Super League Round-Up

A late Jordan Abdull drop-goal got Hull Kingston Rovers their first win of the season in a game in which centre Ben Crooks scored the quickest try in Betfred Super League history.

A mix-up in the Huddersfield defence from the opening kick-off allowed Crooks to pounce and put the Robins ahead after just seven seconds. 

The hosts controlled the first half racing into an 18-0 lead. Crooks notched a second after 23 minutes and his effort was quickly followed up by Mikey Lewis’ try three minutes later. Huddersfield got on the scoreboard just before half-time thanks to England winger Jermaine McGillvary, whose try took him into 8th in the all-time Betfred Super League try-scoring ranks. 

Ian Watson’s side mounted a comeback in the second half with Darnell McIntosh, Jake Wardle and Chris McQueen all scoring within 12 minutes of each other to take the visitors into a 18-20 lead, thanks to Aidan Sezer’s successful conversion.

However, in a dramatic final ten minutes Kane Linnett took advantage of a rare McGillvary error to put Tony Smith’s side back in front before McIntosh’s second of the evening drew the Giants level with seven minutes to play.

Abdull’s drop-goal in the 76th minute proved the difference between the sides as Hull KR earned their first points of the season while Huddersfield remain winless.

Leigh Centurions’ difficult start to life in the Betfred Super League continued with a 52-16 hammering at the hands of unbeaten Castleford Tigers at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle.

Daryl Powell’s side took a 34-0 lead into half-time after scoring six unanswered tries. Liam Watts split the Leigh defence to open the scoring before Daniel Smith and Derrell Olpherts went over.

Paul McShane racked up another try-assist as he put Greg Eden in out wide just before the half-hour mark. Grant Millington would soon carve open the Centurions defence and find an onrushing Niall Evalds on his inside shoulder to further Cas’ lead.

Castleford’s free-flowing Rugby League was on display just before the half-time hooter as Powell’s men shifted the ball from left to right with stalwart centre Michael Shenton finishing.

The Tigers picked up where they left off after the interval as Jordan Turner scored his fourth try of the season. Leigh did eventually get on the scoresheet through Jordan Thompson with Jesse Sene-Lefao being sent to the sin-bin for Castleford. 

Despite being reduced to 12-men, Castleford carried on their dominance as Olpherts doubled his account from distance before playing a role in Jake Trueman’s effort on the hour-mark.

Ben Reynolds and Ryan Brierley scored for Leigh in the final 15 minutes, but they were merely consolation for John Duffy’s side.

Elsewhere, St Helens maintained their 100% start to the season as they earned a 34-6 win against Wakefield Trinity, in a game which was 0-0 at half-time; a rare occurrence in the Betfred Super League.

Regan Grace and Kevin Naiqama both crossed for braces while Jack Welsby and James Bentley were also on the scoresheet. Tommy Makinson notched four goals while Lewis Dodd kicked a fifth goal for Kristian Woolf’s men. 

Jay Pitts scored Wakefield’s only try six minutes from time as Chris Chester’s side remain winless in 2021. 

Betfred Super League Results: 

Thursday 15 April

Leeds Rhinos 6-19 Wigan Warriors

Friday 16 April

Castleford Tigers 52-16 Leigh Centurions

St Helens 34-6 Wakefield Trinity

Hull Kingston Rovers 25-24 Huddersfield Giants

Betfred Super League Round Three Fixtures 

Saturday 17 April

Catalans Dragons v Salford Red Devils – 5pm – Live on Sky Sports Arena

Sunday 18 April 

Hull FC v Warrington Wolves – 3pm – Live on Our League