22nd September 2019, 20:50 | toronto_wolfpack

Toronto in final after impressive win over Toulouse

Toronto in final after impressive win over Toulouse

Betfred Championship Round-up

Toronto Wolpack are once more 80 minutes away from a place in Betfred Super League after defeating Toulouse Olympique 40-24 in the Championship qualifying semi-final.

Centre Ricky Leutele scored a hat-trick of tries in front of a crowd of 9,325 at the Lamport Stadium as the Canadian club secured a second successive appearance in the Million Pound Game, hoping to atone for their shock 4-2 defeat by London Broncos last year.

Toulouse, the only team to beat the Wolfpack so far in 2019, remain favourites to play them in the October 5 promotion decider at the Lamport Stadium as they prepare to face Featherstone in the final eliminator in the south of France next Sunday.


Toronto never looked back after racing into a 10-0 lead inside the first 15 minutes, with Leutele creating the opening try for Joe Mellor and scoring his first.

Mellor marked the 200th appearance of his career with a second try as the Wolfpack opened up a 26-6 lead at half-time.

Toronto's other tries came from skipper Josh McCrone, Chase Stanley and Liam Kay, while Gareth O'Brien kicked four goals from eight attempts.

When Leutele completed his hat-trick after 66 minutes, Toulouse trailed 40-12 but full-back Mark Kheirallah touched down twice in the last seven minutes to complete a hat-trick and finish with a 20-point haul.


Featherstone won 30-4 at York City Knights with Dane Chisholm kicking 10 of their points.

There were also tries from Makahesi Makatoa, James Harrison, Bradley Day, Jack Johnson and Jack Render.

York's points came from the boot of Connor Robinson who kicked two penalties.

Robinson kicked an early penalty and then doubled his side's lead midway through the first half but that was as good as it got for York.


Makatoa opened Rovers' account when he burst over the line to touch down and a conversion and penalty from Chisholm put Featherstone 8-4 up at half-time.

Harrison collected a Callum McLelland pass early in the second half to score and two minutes later Day evaded slipped a number of tackles before dotting down.

Chisholm converted both tries to put Featherstone 20-4 in front.

Johnson got his first try for Featherstone with a 90-metre run after collecting a cross-field kick and Render completed the tryscoring late on following a well-worked move by the visitors.