Principal Partner

16th February 2020, 21:07 | super_league

Tomkins scores three as Dragons get off the mark

Tomkins scores three as Dragons get off the mark

Super League round-up

England halfback Sam Tomkins scored a hat-trick of tries as Catalans Dragons ran out 36-18 winners against Castleford Tigers.

Samisoni Langi, Fouad Yaha and Israel Folau were all on the scoresheet as James Maloney kicked six goals to help the Dragons claim their first win of the season.

Derrell Olpherts, Cheyse Blair and James Clare scored tries and Danny Richardson added three goals for Castleford, who had won their opening two games of the season.

Defending champions St Helens ended their barren tryscoring run with a second-half blitz to defeat early league leaders Hull FC in a 32-18 victory at the KCOM Stadium.

St Helens had not scored a try in 135 minutes of Super League action but Matthew Costello's second-half effort sparked a four-try barrage inside 11 minutes, with Jonny Lomax pulling the strings.

Luke Thompson, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook and James Bentley were the other scorers as Saints moved into a 24-6 lead after Carlos Tuimavave had put Hull into a 6-2 half-time advantage.

Tuimavave scored his second, with Marc Sneyd converting both tries, before Aaron Smith and Jamie Shaul traded late tries as returning Saints star Tommy Makinson kicked six goals.

Luke Gale captained Leeds Rhinos to their first win of the season on only his second appearance for his home-town club.

The former Castleford scrum-half stepped in as third-choice skipper in the absence of injured back rowers Stevie Ward and Rhyse Martin and kicked eight goals from 10 attempts in a 52-10 rout of Hull KR.

Centre Harry Newman and loose forward Cameron Smith, two of the Rhinos’ bright young stars, scored two tries apiece as the home side cut loose against a disappointing Rovers outfit.

Aidan Sezer kicked a penalty with only two minutes remaining to seal Huddersfield Giants a dramatic 12-10 victory over Salford Red Devils at the AJ Bell Stadium.

Adam O’Brien's try for the Giants midway through the first half was cancelled out by Ken Sio and Dan Sarginson then put Salford 10-6 ahead.

Louis Senior then went in in the corner to level the scores before Sezer held his nerve to win it.

Wakefield Trinity picked up their first win of the season with a hard-fought 18-8 triumph of Warrington Wolves.

Warrington held a 2-0 half-time lead thanks to a Stefan Ratchford penalty, only for Wakefield to nudge ahead thanks to Ryan Hampshire's three goals.

Ratchford bagged a try to put Warrington into an 8-6 advantage but Trinity hit back with late tries from Matty Ashurst and Tom Johnstone to claim victory.

Wigan Warriors wore down a Toronto Wolfpack team reduced to just 17 available players to mark captain Sean O’Loughlin’s 400th Super League appearance with a 32-10 victory.

Exciting full-back Bevan French and long-serving forward Liam Farrell both scored two tries for Wigan, with Harry Smith and Joe Burgess also crossing.

Matthew Russell and Bodene Thompson scored the Toronto tries.

  • Wigan Warriors 32-10 Toronto Wolfpack
  • Salford Red Devils 10-12 Huddersfield Giants
  • Leeds Rhinos 52-10 Hull KR
  • Catalans Dragons 36-18 Castleford Tigers
  • Hull FC 18-32 St Helens
  • Wakefield Trinity 18-8 Warrington Wolves