13th May 2018, 17:31 | ChallengeCup

Warrington ease past indisciplined Toronto

Warrington ease past indisciplined Toronto

Warrington Wolves 66-10 Toronto Wolfpack

Toronto Wolfpack paid a heavy price for their indiscipline as Warrington Wolves overturned an early 8-0 deficit to run out 66-10 winners in the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup sixth round.

The Canadian outfit were poised to spring an upset when they scored two tries in the opening 14 minutes but it all went badly wrong after they had one player sent off and three other players sin-binned.

Second rower Andrew Dixon was dismissed after 38 minutes for punching, while winger Liam Kay was given a yellow for a dangerous throw and captain Josh McCrone and prop Darcy Lussick were both sin-binned for dissent.

At one time the Wolfpack were down to 10 men and Warrington showed no mercy, handing Toronto their heaviest defeat in their brief history.

The Super League team were trailing 10-6 at the time of Dixon’s dismissal but they went on to grab the lead on the stroke of half-time and ran amok in the second half with 10 tries, three of them from winger Tom Lineham.

Warrington, who won at Wembley three times in four years from 2009-12, have now won their last 10 matches to step up their bid for a league and cup double.

"In the first half I thought we deserved to be in front," Wolfpack head coach Paul Rowley said. "I thought we were dominating every aspect, although it was a very tight game. It looked like two evenly-matched sides.

"But you can't play with three men in the bin and one red against a team that is high on confidence and playing extremely well on their own pitch.

"We accept responsibility for not being good enough in terms of our discipline and how we dealt with situations. We should have been better."

Warrington coach Steve Price added: "I was disappointed with the first half. I thought we fell into the trap. We spoke all week about what they were going to do.

"There were 24 penalties in the game and I thought all of them were warranted. I thought (referee) Ben (Thaler) controlled the game really well.

"We addressed it at half-time and I was really pleased after we came out after half-time with controlled aggression and discipline. It was very pleasing to get the result."