13th September 2020, 20:16 | super_league

Saints need golden point to make it six wins in a row

Saints need golden point to make it six wins in a row

Super League round up

St Helens survived a major scare to make it six straight wins since the resumption of the Betfred Super League and go back to the top of the table.

The champions were taken to extra time by lowly Hull KR and needed a golden point drop goal from scrum-half Theo Fages to help them to a dramatic 21-20 extra-time victory.

Dean Hadley crossed for Hull KR but Regan Grace and Jack Welsby went over to put St Helens in control. Shaun Kenny-Dowall got the Robins back in it before Alex Walmsley responded.

Ethan Ryan's try was then converted by Will Dagger, who took it to extra-time with a 40-metre penalty before Fages settled it.

A thrilling last-gasp 60-metre try from full-back Matty Ashton broke Castleford hearts and preserved Warrington’s 100 per cent record since the resumption of the league.

The Tigers dominated the round 12 match at St Helens for long periods but frittered away a host of chances and paid the price when England second rower Ben Currie breached their defence with three minutes to go and sent Ashton over for a try that levelled the scores.

Stefan Ratchford, who demonstrated his versatility by playing in different positions in three successive matches, then held his nerve by kicking the conversion to snatch a 12-10 victory, a seventh successive triumph which was achieved despite the absence of a host of regulars.

Wigan got back to winning ways in Perpignan, humbling Catalans Dragons in front of their first home crowd for six months with a 28-12 Super League victory.

A Joe Burgess double and a kicking masterclass from Jackson Hastings, Sam Powell and Thomas Leuluai were enough for Wigan to take the points.

Oliver Gildart, Bevan French and Sam Powell scored their other tries with Zak Hardaker booting the rest of the points. Julian Bousquet and Fouad Yaha scored Catalans' tries.

Adam Swift scored the 100th try of his career to put Hull on their way to a 26-23 victory over Wakefield.

Swift added a second try in his 150th match and second-rower Jordan Lane also touched down twice as the Black and Whites held off a late fightback to present coach Andy Last with a second win in four matches.

They led 26-13 after 63 minutes but were left clinging on as Wakefield second-rower Kelepi Tanginoa went over for two tries in six minutes to set up a nerve-jangling finish.

Leeds overcame late disruption to condemn Huddersfield to a second single-point defeat since the resumption.

There was a touch of deja vu as Rhinos captain Luke Gale kicked a drop goal six minutes from the end to clinch a 13-12 victory.

The Giants will be kicking themselves after letting slip a 10-0 half-time advantage to leave themselves still looking for a first win since March.