9th February 2020, 13:03 | super_league

Warrington nil Saints as Sunday's fixtures fall to the weather

Warrington nil Saints as Sunday's fixtures fall to the weather

Super League round-up.

Warrington Wolves sent a daunting message to the rest of Betfred Super League with a superb 19-0 victory over reigning champions St Helens.

The Wolves shrugged off the absence of suspended skipper Chris Hill to inflict a first defeat on new Saints coach Kristian Woolf, who were nilled for the first time since they lost 25-0 to Wigan at the DW Stadium in August 2016.

Stefan Ratchford kicked an early penalty before the impressive Daryl Clark and Tom Lineham crossed, in addition to Blake Austin's drop-goal, to earn a healthy 13-0 lead.

Josh Charnley sealed the victory with the Wolves' third try before Ratchford added another penalty.

Hull FC earned the early bragging rights after edging out city rivals Hull KR in an absorbing derby to win 25-16 at the KCOM Stadium.

Both teams traded two tries apiece in a tight first half with Harvey Livett and Adam Quinlan crossing for Rovers, while Jake Connor and Danny Houghton – on his 32nd derby appearance for Hull FC – responded for the home side.

Hull led 12-10 at the break but the Robins went ahead through Ben Crooks’ superb team try, only for Marc Sneyd to nudge the Airlie Birds back in front after Jamie Ellis missed a kickable penalty for the visitors.

A clean break by Josh Griffin pushed the lead to 24-16 before Sneyd wrapped up the win with a late drop-goal.

Toronto Wolfpack are still searching for their first victory in Super League following a 24-16 loss at Salford Red Devils.

Marquee signing Sonny Bill Williams made his first start for the Canadian outfit and they battled bravely to trail 6-4 at the break as Gary Wheeler and Kevin Brown traded tries.

Kris Welham and Hakim Miloudi were both sin-binned following a fracas before Tui Lolohea and Rhys Williams extended Salford's lead to 16-6, only for Toronto to hit back to level the scores through tries from Wheeler and Brad Singleton.

However, Niall Evalds and Dan Sarginson crossed in the final seven minutes to earn their first win of the season.

Castleford Tigers made it two wins from two as they edged past Wigan Warriors 16-12.

Derrell Olpherts' first Castleford try and Cheyse Blair's score put the Tigers into a 12-6 half-time lead, with Liam Byrne crossing for Wigan.

Two Danny Richardson penalties in the second period proved enough for the hosts as Joe Burgess could only grab a late consolation.

Both of Sunday's games were postponed as Storm Ciara caused havoc with the sporting schedule.

Huddersfield Giants' clash at home to Leeds Rhinos was called off due to health and safety concerns, while the wet and windy weather prevented Wakefield Trinity and Catalans Dragons playing at Belle Vue.