17 May 2021

Dewsbury and Featherstone win as Championship fans return

Dewsbury and Featherstone win as Championship fans return

Betfred Championship round-up.

Fans returned to Betfred Championship fixtures for the first time since March 8, 2020 and Dewsbury Rams staved off a dramatic fightback from hosts Swinton Lions in the night's 7.45pm kick off to win 20-18 away from home.

The Rams were in ruthless mood early on and held a 16-0 lead at half time.

The visitors scored three tries inside the first 18 minutes through Andy Gabriel, Michael Knowles and Keenen Tomlinson.

Paul Sykes kicked a penalty goal on 35 minutes to add to an earlier conversion.

But the home side, spurred on by their returning vocal supporters at Heywood Road, made it more of a contest in the second period, finally scoring themselves through Mitch Cox on 52 minutes.

Martyn Ridyard kicked the first of his three goals, but two more penalties from Sykes stretched Dewsbury's lead to 20-6.

But Swinton set up a dramatic finale with two converted scores in the final five minutes, both scored by Billy Brickhill, but it wasn't enough as Lee Greenwood's men chalked up their third win of the season.

The night's other fixture saw Oldham on the end of a heavy 68-0 defeat at the hands of Featherstone Rovers away from home.

The visitors were rarely in the picture against their promotion-hunting hosts as they trailed 40-0 at half time.

Things started well for Rovers as Dane Chisholm, who kicked an impressive ten goals, welcomed back supporters with a try less than a minute in.

Craig Hall and Jack Bussey also touched down twice each in the first half, alongside tries for Brad Day and Thomas Minns before the break.

Twenty-eight points would follow after the interval as Josh Hardcastle, Tom Holmes and Nu Brown all went over before 62 minutes had passed.

Connor Jones and Gareth Gale then scored in the final ten minutes to add extra gloss to the scoreline.

Monday's Betfred Championship scores:

  • Swinton Lions 18-20 Dewsbury Rams
  • Featherstone Rovers 68-0 Oldham