Super League

17 May 2021

Returning fans enjoy Monday night Rugby League feast

Returning fans enjoy Monday night Rugby League feast

Betfred Super League round-up.

Rugby League fans returned to stadiums for the first time in 429 days and there was drama all across the Betfred Super League on Monday night.

A masterclass from Bevan French helped Wigan Warriors maintain their perfect start to the Betfred Super League season as they fought back to see off Leigh Centurions 30-16.

French scored a try and set up two others - for Harry Smith and Dom Manfredi - as the Warriors notched their sixth straight victory of the season with Jake Bibby scoring a brace and Liam Farrell also crossing over as Smith added three conversions.

Former Wigan centre Anthony Gelling, Nathan Mason and Jamie Ellis crossed over for the hosts as Ben Reynolds added the extras.

Champions St Helens treated their returning fans to a sixth win from as many games as they eased to a 28-0 triumph over Salford Red Devils.

The fans got a first sight of the Super League trophy, six months after the Grand Final, when injured winger Tommy Makinson performed a solo parade before kick-off.

Alex Walmsley, Theo Fages, Kevin Naiqama, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook and Regan Grace crossed over for St Helens as Lachlan Coote added four conversions.

Hull FC tasted defeat in front of their returning fans after a 27-10 loss at the hands of fellow top-four hopefuls Catalans Dragons at the KCOM Stadium.

A penalty apiece from James Maloney and Arthur Mourgue sandwiched a Mahe Fonua try in a first half that saw both sides reduced to 12 players.

Josh Reynolds put the hosts back ahead with their first attack of the second half, but tries from Sam Kasiano, Mike McMeeken and a brace from Tom Davies - in addition to Maloney's drop-goal - saw Steve McNamara's side claim their fifth win of the season.

Huddersfield Giants held on for a thrilling 26-20 victory over Warrington Wolves as supporters returned to the Halliwell Jones stadium.

Lee Gaskell claimed two tries for the victors with Jermaine McGillvary and Kenny Edwards also touching down, while Aiden Sezer landed three conversions and two penalties as they claimed their first win at Warrington in six years.

Warrington staged a mini revival at the start of the second half with tries by Greg Inglis, Daryl Clark and Josh Thewlis and Gareth Widdop kicking two conversions to reduce the deficit to two points at 20-18.

But a try 13 minutes from time by Edwards settled the Huddersfield nerves and Sezer kicked a late penalty to edge the Giants home.

Jordan Abdull barged over in injury time to claim a dramatic 26-22 victory for Hull KR over Castleford Tigers and puncture the festive atmosphere at the Mend-a-Hose Jungle.

A restricted crowd of 3,600 watched Abdull's 10-point haul as Daryl Powell's men blew an early 14-point lead as well as an eight-point half-time advantage with their only points in a dismal second-half display coming from a Danny Richardson penalty.

Depleted Leeds Rhinos completed the double over Wakefield Trinity with a golden-point 15-13 victory to halt their five-match losing run in the final Super League match to be played behind closed doors on Friday.

A drop goal from Trinity scrum-half Mason Lino two minutes from the end of normal time locked the scores at 13-13 to force extra time and Leeds second rower Rhyse Martin won it with a penalty.

Betfred Super League Results:

  • Leeds Rhinos 15-13 Wakefield Trinity (Friday)
  • Leigh Centurions 16-30 Wigan Warriors
  • St Helens 28-0 Salford Red Devils
  • Warrington Wolves 20-26 Huddersfield Giants
  • Hull FC 10-27 Catalans Dragons
  • Castleford Tigers 22-26 Hull Kingston Rovers