11th August 2019, 17:46 | super_league

Hull continue Super League play-off push

Hull continue Super League play-off push

Betfred Super League round-up

Hull FC moved level on points with second-placed Warrington Wolves following a hard-fought 26-16 at Wakefield Trinity.

The Black and Whites trail the Wolves by points difference thanks to four tries in an 11-minute period during the first half.

Ryan Hampshire crossed in the fourth minute for the hosts before Hull raced into a 20-6 half-time advantage through Bureta Faraimo, Carlos Tuimavave, Marc Sneyd and Ratu Naulago.

Naulago grabbed his second in the 51st minute to extend their lead to 26-6 before former FC pair Joe Arundel and Jacob Miller crossed for consolation tries, which leaves Trinity still in the relegation battle on 18 points.

St Helens came out on top during the Coral Challenge Cup final rehearsal as they eased to a 30-12 victory at Warrington.

Betfred Super League's top two teams will face each other on August 24 at Wembley and Saints will be confident of adding another trophy to their League Leaders' Shield.

The visitors edged into a 12-10 half-time lead after tried from Kevin Naiqama and Jonny Lomax, while Jake Mamo and Josh Thewlis crossed for the Wire.

However, Joseph Paulo, Matty Costello and Tommy Makinson added further scores for Saints against a weakened Warrington side, who have now lost their last four league matches.

Leeds Rhinos eased their relegation fears with a 48-8 thumping of Catalans Dragons.

Leeds led just 16-8 at the break before prop Brad Singleton was sent off for a high tackle in the 50th minute.

Despite the numerical disadvantage, they ran in a total of seven tries with Ash Handley and Richie Myler grabbing two apiece alongside scores from Rob Lui, Luke Briscoe and Rhyse Martin, who kicked 10 goals.

The Rhinos also had Konrad Hurrell sin-binned during the match as Catalans' only try came through Mickael Goudemand.

Salford Red Devils surged into the final play-off place with a late try-scoring spree against struggling Huddersfield Giants.

Huddersfield, who are locked on 18 points alongside Wakefield near the foot of the table, led 12-10 with 15 minutes to play before Mark Flanagan, Tui Lolohea and Krisnan Inu - who also added five goals in that time - guided Salford to a 32-12 triumph.

Logan Tomkins and three goals from Inu put the hosts 10-6 up at the break, with Darnell McIntosh repling for the Giants.

Huddersfield took the lead for the first time through Olly Russell's 50th-minute try, but Salford's late renaissance saw them climb up the table.

Wigan Warriors cemented their top-five aspirations with a comfortable 36-18 triumph over relegation-threatened Hull KR.

Wigan led three times through George Williams, Liam Marshall and Liam Farrell tries but cancelled out by Ryan Shaw, Ben Crooks and Josh Drinkwater scores.

However, Farrell dotted down his second alongside Joe Burgess and Tony Clubb - which were all converted by Zak Hardaker.

Castleford Tigers remain in the hunt of the Super League play-offs with a 20-6 victory against bottom-placed London Broncos.

London took an early lead through Brock Lamb's converted try but Castleford hit back thanks to Tuoyo Egodo's brace, Oliver Holmes and Jacques O'Neill, to trail Salford in fifth by points difference.

The Broncos remain two points adrift of Wakefield, Huddersfield and Hull KR with four games to play.