8 Apr 2022
New faces from Halifax, Hull and London in England Wheelchair Performance Squad
England Wheelchair have included three new faces in their Performance Squad for 2022, as they continue their countdown to the home World Cup this autumn.
Billy Swainger becomes Hull FC’s first ever representative in an England Wheelchair squad, and he is joined by Tom Martin of Halifax Panthers and Ashley Archer, who has impressed in his early appearances for the new London Roosters club in the Betfred Wheelchair Super League this season.
Warrington Wolves, another new club in the BWSL for 2022, are represented by Lenny Izzard, and there will be familiar faces representing Wigan Warriors for the first time after they replaced Leyland Warriors in the BWSL – Martin Norris, Adam Rigby and Declan Roberts.
The squad will gather for training and development sessions in Leeds and Hull this weekend ahead of a Mid-Season International against France, the reigning world champions, in Manchester on Sunday June 19 – which will be shown live on Sky Sports.
England’s Head Coach Tom Coyd said: “This is the largest and most diverse squad selected since I have been involved, which is testament to the strength of the domestic Wheelchair Super League, the effort of the individual clubs and the investment of resources into the game.
“This group will bring the best out of each other as we work towards our first test of 2022 this coming June. The competition for places is as fierce as ever and bodes very well for the end of year.
“We're delighted to bring in three brand new players. Billy Swainger has been plying his trade diligently for a number of years and his consistency for Hull FC has been recognised. Tom Martin has had a promising start to the season with Halifax Panthers, impressing in the recent Grand Final rematch versus Leeds Rhinos. Ash Archer is an exciting convert from Wheelchair Sprinting and Basketball, with raw talent and a willingness to learn. We are also pleased to welcome back Warrington's Lenny Izzard who spent time in the National Performance Squad last season and has again been pulling the strings for his club side in 2022.”
England Wheelchair Performance Squad 2022:
- Tom Halliwell – Leeds Rhinos
- Billy Swainger – Hull FC
- Tom Martin - Halifax Panthers
- Ashley Archer – London Roosters
- Lenny Izzard – Warrington Wolves
- Adam Rigby – Wigan Warriors
- Declan Roberts – Wigan Warriors
- Josh Butler – Leeds Rhinos
- Wayne Boardman – Halifax Panthers
- Robert Hawkins – Halifax Panthers
- Joe Coyd – London Roosters
- Lewis King – London Roosters
- James Simpson – Leeds Rhinos
- Nathan Collins – Leeds Rhinos
- Nathan Mulhall – Halifax Panthers
- Sebastien Bechara – Catalans Dragons / Halifax Panthers
- Jack Brown – Halifax Panthers / QLD WhRL Australia
- Freya Levy – London Roosters
- Martin Norris – Wigan Warriors