30th May 2019, 23:34 | ChallengeCup

Holders out as Hull FC progress to semi-finals

Holders out as Hull FC progress to semi-finals

Catalans Dragons’ Coral Challenge Cup reign came to an abrupt end as Hull FC ran out comfortable 51-8 winners in their quarter-final at the KCOM Stadium.

The two sides have won the last three editions of the competition between them, but it was 2016 and 2017 winners Hull who raced into a 12-0 lead inside seven minutes.

Jake Connor and Bureta Faraimo crossed for the hosts but a quickfire brace from Lewis Tierney pulled Catalans back to a 12-8 half-time deficit.

Marc Sneyd, who kicked 19 points on the night, added an early second-half penalty before tries from Sika Manu and Ratu Naulago put the Black and Whites into a commanding 26-8 lead with 25 minutes to play.

And further scores from Albert Kelly, Naulago, Jamie Shaul and Danny Houghton deservedly cemented Hull’s place in the last four of the competition at the University of Bolton Stadium on July 27.

Hull head coach Lee Radford said: “To put a performance against them fellas, who have been bang at it for the last month, to win so emphatically like that after Saturday, it’s hard to explain. I don’t want to accept [the bad performances].

“We have to keep working now to try and find a better way of getting beat, which sounds stupid. But we are fourth, two points off third – a team we just pumped – and we are through to a Challenge Cup semi-final.

“I knew we could compete with Catalans. I knew we could compete with Warrington and compete with Saints. We just need to maintain it on a consistent basis, that’s our Achilles heel at the moment."

Catalans head coach Steve McNamara said: “We are extremely disappointed but Hull played some outstanding cup football – capitalised on every error that we made. That’s how to play cup football.

“We never gave ourselves a chance in that game and I have to say Hull were pretty ruthless. It was clearly not good enough from us tonight and we are thoroughly, thoroughly disappointed with that."